Cyberpunk 2077‘s massive Phantom Liberty expansion got its new trailer and release date (September 26th) at the Xbox Showcase. And earlier today, CD Projekt Red provided a deeper look at what fans can expect.
In Phantom Liberty, players once again take on the role of V, a cyberpunk for hire, as they embark on a mission to save the President of the New United States of America after her orbital shuttle is shot down over the deadliest district of Night City — Dogtown. What follows is a deep dive into an intricate story of espionage and political intrigue which connects the highest echelons of power with the brutal world of black-market mercenaries.
Phantom Liberty features a number of new aspects for players to be excited about.
- Dogtown is a relic of the war and one of the most dangerous regions of Night City.
- It’s run by tyrant/businessman Kurt Hansen who is modeled after South-American drug lords.
- It’s considered the Black Market of Night City as it’s free from Corpo. Thereby it’s often where you go to get rare or normally unavailable cyberware.
- Rosalind Myers is the President of the New United States and an ex-Marine.
- Her ship crash landed in Dogtown and she now has to try to escape alive.
- As V, your mission is to get assist Myers.
- Idris Elba plays Solomon Reed
- Solomon is a master spy for NUSA and a sleeper agent.
- As with other main characters in Phantom Liberty, he will be torn between different motivations.
- Songbird is a talented netrunner and the right-hand of President Myers for NUSA.
- She will work closely with V and similar to Reed, will be torn between different motivations.
- Of course, Johnny Silverhand plays a prominent role and Keanu Reeves returned to the role in full.
According to Narrative Director Igor Sarzyński, Phantom Liberty is reminiscent of an 80s or 90s action, spy-thriller with a core focus on characters that will pull you in different directions. It represents not only a unique story within Cyberpunk 2077, but will also come with a wide-range of updates and improvements when it launches on September 26th.
If you missed the deep-dive discussion, you can find it below!