Just as we reported last week with Xbox’s record fiscal year, this week it’s PlayStation’s turn to impress.
- Sony has now shipped 10.1 million PS5s. Launch aligned, this continues to outpace the PS4 slightly making it the most successful launch for PlayStation to date and the PS5 the fastest to 10 million.
- Revenue for the first quarter of their fiscal year (April through June) was $5.62 billion, up 2% YoY.
- This marks their most successful first quarter in brand history.
- Operating profit was down, but this was expected due to PlayStation 5 production costs and a decline in PS4 sales.
Other notable points from the earnings call:
- Sony has secured the chipsets to meet their PlayStation 5 production goal of 22.6 million by March of 2022.
- All titles released in the quarter performed “above expectations”.
- Digital sales now represent 71% of total game sales.
- Sony pointed to MLB The Show 21 (Xbox) and Days Gone (PC) as helping to drive revenue upwards.
- PSN and PS Plus users declined slightly to 104 million (from 109) and 46.3 million (from 47.2).
We’ll continue to say it. The big three (PlayStation, Nintendo, Xbox) all continue to break their own revenue records. At the end of the day, that translates to even more experiences for us to enjoy. So let’s all enjoy it!