The curtain has finally been fulled back from Starfield, the ambitious new RPG from Todd Howard’s team at Bethesda Softworks. The team(s) behind Skyrim and Fallout 4 have been developing Starfield for years now and as you can imagine after titles like those, expectations from fans are sky high.
But what exactly is Starfield? While the teaser at yesterday’s Xbox showcase gave us a glimpse, what does the game actually contain? How will it play? The Telegraph sat down with Todd Howard to discuss and we’ve summarized below.
- You will create your own character.
- The game will support both first and third-person play.
- You play as a human explorer but there are alien races. You are part of the “Constellation” group of explorers.
- Your ship is called the “Frontier”.
- It takes place about 300 years in the future.
- Howard described it as a “Han Solo simulator”.
- The aesthetic is “NASA-punk”, sci-fi but grittier and more retro.
- A more hardcore, “pen and paper like”, RPG than more recent games. You’ll be able to choose your character’s background.
- Obviously gameplay will be shared closer to launch.
- The game is being built on the new Creation Engine 2. It’s the first game to use it.