As we continue to say, the gaming industry is booming. Within that, we’ve seen continued record growth for Nintendo, Xbox, and PlayStation. Over the past few days, both Xbox and Nintendo have posted record sales and revenue figures, and now its PlayStation’s turn.
In the quarter ending December 31, 2020, PlayStation shared the following:
- 4.5 million units of the PlayStation 5 were shipped. This matches the output of the PlayStation 4 in the same quarter in 2013.
- Sony noted that their pricing for the PS5 was strategic and they are indeed losing money on every unit sold.
- 1.4 million units of the PlayStation 4 were shipped in the same period.
- Total sell through of the PS4 has now reached 115 million units.
- 18.4 million units of first-party software were sold in the quarter.
- PlayStation Plus subscribers has reached 47.4 million (up from 38.8 million a year prior).
- Total PlayStation Network users reached 114 million.
- Spider-Man Miles Morales, their major 4th quarter title, has sold-through 4.1 million units.
Impressive and not surprising at all. PlayStation is a very powerful global brand and demand for the PS5 is sky-high. With a strong game lineup in 2021, we don’t see that slowing down any time soon!