One aspect Xbox continues to push as we approach next-gen, is the methodology that “everything comes with you“. We have already heard about full backwards compatibility and that existing controllers and peripherals would come forward, but this morning they provided further details on the “Designed for Xbox” program.
Xbox is partnering with third party peripheral makers around the industry to not only develop new accessories, including premium brands, but to ensure total compatibility on the Xbox family of devices. You can find the full details via Xbox Wire.
The Designed for Xbox badge communicates how closely we have worked with our partners on each product to test quality, performance, safety, and security with all Xbox hardware experiences. It also communicates continuous compatibility as we move into the next generation of gaming. The Designed for Xbox badge ensures these accessories provide the best possible experience while gaming on your Xbox console, regardless of generation. We’ve been a part of our gamers’ journey since the beginning of Xbox and can’t wait to take this step with you into the next generation of Xbox gaming.
Today, Designed for Xbox is partnering with over 34 gaming brands around the world and have expanded our licensed accessories in categories such as accessibility, PC, Cloud Gaming, and even American Girl. But we aren’t finished! We will continue to expand the Xbox ecosystem with innovative products and experiences, all while maintaining a level of quality we are proud of.
- Bang & Olufsen is a luxury audio brand based in Struer, Denmark. Every Bang & Olufsen product is characterized by the unique combination of beautiful sound, timeless design, and unrivalled craftsmanship. Since 1925 Bang & Olufsen has been pushing the boundaries of audio technology and now joins Designed for Xbox with a new audio proposition for the high-end gaming segment.
- Audeze is an award-winning premium audio technology company focused on science, innovation, and craftsmanship. Their passion for precision audio has earned them several patents and an outstanding reputation among audiophiles, gamers and professionals worldwide. Audeze will be releasing the Penrose X Wireless Planar Magnetic Headset as their first Designed for Xbox product, and can’t wait for Xbox Series X players to experience the unparalleled audio quality.
- OtterBox, the No. 1 most-trusted brand in smartphone case protection, is teaming up with Xbox in the development of the next generation of gaming accessories. OtterBox will unveil a holistic portfolio of accessories early next year designed to keep gamers connected when it matters most, wherever they might be. As the long-time leader in mobile protection, OtterBox is excited to design for Xbox as it leads the way in go-anywhere gaming.
- Nacon is a French gaming brand created in 2015 that designs and distributes a wide range of gaming accessories aiming to meet the needs of all players on console and PC, from casual to pro-gamer. Nacon will be developing officially licensed controllers for Xbox One, Xbox Series X and PC, as well as mobile gaming accessories for cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.
- Honeycomb Aeronautical is a worldwide leader in flight simulator hardware, both for home use and flight training. They will be working with Microsoft on developing the next generation of class leading flight controls for Xbox Series X and Microsoft Flight Simulator.
- Geek Made Designs specializes in creating ‘furniture for your controller’ with their solid wood controller and console stands. Their love of gaming and their passion for design drives each product they make and inspires new creations regularly. They take great pride in every creation as they locally source and select each piece of lumber from the Pacific Northwest, then cut, carve, and hand finish their designs.
- Cable Matters offers a complete line of cables, adapters, docking stations and networking products for the home, office, and data center. They are excited to partner with Designed for Xbox on active optical HDMI cables. These cables will reliably deliver the next-generation graphics promised by the new console at distances up to 10 meters, a distance virtually unachievable with traditional HDMI cables.
We certainly enjoy this news. We’re happy that the substantial money we’ve invested in current accessories will continue to work on the Series X and we’re excited to hear about new partnerships with companies. If we’re being honest though, we’re at the point where any news of the Series X or PS5 is minor compared to what we’re all waiting for.