Given the scope of accessories sold for the current generation of consoles, consumers have rightly been wondering whether or not they will all work on the Xbox Series X and PS5. In the case of the Series X, Xbox has confirmed that all officially licensed Xbox One accessories will work.
This morning, PlayStation began to answer questions about the same and while it seems general compatibility is a focus, it comes with some major caveats.
With relation to which accessories and peripherals will work on the PS5, here are the details:
- Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
- The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
- The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
- Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
- Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles.
The biggest question though, is whether DualShock 4 controllers will be able to be used on the PS5. And while the answer is technically yes, Sony has clarified that they will only work on PS4 games.
- No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.
Lastly, will the PSVR and Camera related games work on the PS5? It seems the answer is yes, but it will require an adaptor.
- Yes, PlayStation Camera will work with PS5 for playing supported PS VR games. It will require a PlayStation Camera adaptor that will be provided at no additional cost to PS VR users. More details on how to get the adaptor will be announced at a later date.
This is pretty poor news. We heard previously that PS4 controllers would work on the PS5 and thus everyone seemed to assume there would be no issue continuing to use custom DS4s or controllers like the Nacon, Astro, etc… Sadly that is not the case.