It’s that time of the year again: The second quarter results (fiscal year 2023) for Sony (and thus PlayStation) have now been reported and they show some impressive figures. Let’s break it down.
- 4.9 million PS5s were sold during the quarter, the best figures for a second quarter since launch and a 48% increase year-over-year.
- 46.6 million PS5s have now been shipped and they feel they could hit 25 million PS5s sold-through in the fiscal year.
- $6.6 billion in revenue was generated, the highest ever for a fiscal second quarter for PlayStation.
- Gaming revenue up 32% YoY.
- 479,325 units of software were sold during the quarter, a 26% increase YoY. This includes games, add-ons, and additional “software.”
- PlayStation continuing develop on the larger live-service game strategy though they are delaying some of the titles beyond March 2026 to ensure higher quality.
- The plan is still to have Sony President and COO Hiroki Totoki to step in as the interim CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment as they search for the replacement for Jim Ryan.
- Spider-Man has sold through over 5 million copies since its release.