In the latest Xbox Expansion Pass, SG Contributor Luke Lohr sat down with Rare’s Mike Chapman to discuss all things Sea of Thieves. Chapman, Creative Director of Sea of Thieves at Rare, discussed the title’s early launch, how games-as-a-service titles gate content, how they plan their future road map, and more!
You can find the interview below along with some timestamps of specific topics:
- 45:35 – Chapman discusses the early launch of Sea of Thieves and how it stressed the team. He speaks on how Xbox responded and how the development team continued with a healthy development pattern.
- 1:00:30 – Chapman briefly discusses the planning road map for 2023 and 2024.
- 1:02:00 – Chapman mentions the possibility of a future documentary about Sea of Thieves
- 1:05:30 – Chapman talks about how many teams at Rare are working on Sea of Thieves and their varying roles.
- 1:22:00 – Chapman discusses how games-as-a-service titles time-gate content for delivery.
- 1:33:02 – Chapman discusses sales figures and the impact of Game Pass, launching on Steam, Xbox Cloud Gaming, and more.
As always we suggest listening to the entire show for full context. If you prefer to listen audibly, you can find all of the links here!