As with the other corporations we’ve discussed, Nintendo released their quarterly earnings report earlier today. As expected, the Switch and Animal Crossing in particular are runaway successes. In fact, it’s safe to say we haven’t seen sales figures this spectacular in a very long time. You can find the full list of official figures here.
Here are the highlights:
- The Switch has now sold through nearly 56 million units in total (55.77 million).
- This accounts for 21.02 million units sold in fiscal 2019. The breakdown is 14.83 million base Switches and 6.19 Switch Lites.
- It was also noted that 3.29 million Switches were sold in the first quarter of 2020. This is despite production shortages.
- Animal Crossing sold through nearly 12 million units (11.77 million) in just 11 days.
- It has now sold through 13.4 million units
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to be the best-selling title on the Switch and is approaching 25 million units sold (24.77 million).
- 48.5% of games on the Switch are now sold digitally.
The Switch has been a phenomenon for some time now and combined with the global pandemic and the release of Animal Crossing, it’s felt like a perfect storm for Nintendo. It’s safe to say that if the Switch’s success continues over the next 18-24 months, it will end it’s run as one of the most successful consoles of all-time. We fully expect it to.