One of the biggest questions surrounding Modern Warfare has been how they will handle microtransactions. Call of Duty has traditionally been one of the more egregious games in terms of additional purchases so while we’re all excited the season pass and map packs have been done away with, players wanted to know what that meant for the rest of the content.
According to Infinity Ward, Modern Warfare will feature a Battle Pass system that sounds vaguely similar to other titles on the market. Here are the features that have been detailed to date:
“We are excited about what these changes will bring to Call of Duty players. That said, we also recognize there is one more topic that many fans are interested to learn more about.
Today, let’s address the basics for the in-game economy coming in Modern Warfare.
· We are introducing a new Battle Pass system, not a loot box system.
· All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.
· The new Battle Pass system will allow players to see the content that they are earning or buying. Battle Passes will launch timed to new, post-launch live seasons, so you can unlock cool new Modern Warfare-themed content that matches each season.
· With the new Battle Pass system, players will be able to earn COD Points by playing the game.
· There will be both a Free Stream and a Premium Stream of content in the Battle Pass System in Modern Warfare. New base weapons will be earned through gameplay, simply by playing Modern Warfare. Functional attachments for base weapons can be unlocked through gameplay as well just like in the game’s Beta.
· The Battle Pass and the In-Game Store will feature a variety of cosmetic content that does not impact game balance.
The Battle Pass System for Modern Warfare will not launch when the game releases on October 25th. Here’s why: First and foremost, we are all focused on making the Day One experience awesome. Second, it’s important to us that everyone who is playing Modern Warfare has the chance to work their way through the new game and unlock all the rewards that are waiting for you. We expect to launch this system for Modern Warfare later this year.”
To us, this sounds like the right direction. Of course, we’re all familiar with promises that are made prior to launch and the direction those can take over time. We’re still reserved about the approach until we see it for ourselves, however we are still very pleased with the direction Modern Warfare is taking with crossplay and providing all post-launch content and maps at the same time for everyone. It continues to be one of our most anticipated titles for the rest of 2019.