The Yakuza Remastered Collection, which includes Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza 5, is heading to the PlayStation Store starting with Yakuza 3 – available right now!
All three games have been upgraded from 720p at 30fps to 1080p at 60fps, and include content never-before-seen in the original Western releases, including Mahjong, Shogi, the ever-popular Cabaret minigames, and more in Yakuza 3! Yakuza 4 unlocks automatically on October 29, 2019, and Yakuza 5 unlocks on February 11, 2020, so pick up The Yakuza Remastered Collection today and continue the journey of the Dragon of Dojima!
At this moment this appears to be a digital only release as preorder links are not available for physical just yet.
A little bit of history with existing Yakuza releases..
- Yakuza 0 – is a prequel to the mainline stories of Yakuza 1-5. It released in 2015 in Japan and 2017 in North America and Europe. The game runs on it’s own new engine and is considered a current generation game.
- Yakuza Kiwami – this is the remake of Yakuza 1, originally launched on PlayStation 2 in 2005. The fight engine is borrowed from Yakuza 0.
- Yakuza Kiwami 2– this is the remake of Yakuza 2, originally launched on PlayStation 2 in 2006. The fight engine is borrowed from Yakuza 0 as well.
- Yakuza 3-5 have not received the remake treatment and it appears that this remaster will serve in place with updated FPS and resolution
- Yakuza 6 – is the latest in the series and is also considered a current generation title. It has it’s own fight engine and evolution in development tools. It closes out the main story of the main character.
This is really exciting news for Yakuza fans. We’ve played almost all of these and have been hoping for an announcement of the remake treatment for 3-5 but this will be awesome to get into.