Gearbox unveiled the new model for Battleborn today which essentially turns the title into a free to play game for new players. Here are the high level details:
- It is available as free starting today on all platforms except PS4 in Asia and Europe which will be June 13th.
- Competitive MP can be played endlessly using a cast of rotating characters.
- A new MP mode “Supercharge” will be added on June 22nd.
- Other characters can be unlocked using in-game currency you unlock while playing, or with real money.
- You can upgrade to the full version of Battleborn which unlocks all characters and offers the single player story mode.
You can find all the details and answers to FAQs here: Battleborn F2P Details
Battleborn never found it’s audience likely due to a number of reasons but primarily due to the massive success that Overwatch found in the same launch window. Despite being different game types, comparisons were frequently made between the two and given Overwatch’s popularity, Battleborn never stood a chance. That said, moving it to free to play should open some new players to the game and hopefully rejuvenate the title for existing players.